Sunday 25 May 2014

'I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress which women have achieved' - B. R. Ambedkar

Good Afternoon, I am writing this today after finishing a great book whilst relaxing on a rainy Sunday afternoon. As I have some time to spare at the moment, I thought I would get ahead on my reading and this seemed like a great place to start. For my course next year we are doing a module on distopia and utopia. These are my two favourite genres and when I saw the books we were reading, I got really excited. The book I'm reviewing today is a classic that comes highly recommended, but surprisingly I have not actually read much of her work to date. However, after reading this book, I am definitely inclined to take a look at her other works.
The Handmaid's Tale
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Attwood
Imagine a society where a woman's one role is to get pregnant. They are rarely allowed to leave the house and they are no longer permitted to read. This is the reality for the women of the Republic of Gilead. Women only have value if they are able to fall pregnant because the birth rate is rapidly declining and things are becoming dire. However, things were not always like this, Offred, a subservient handmaid remembers a time when she used to have a job and money, make love to her husband and play with her daughter. Yet, only traces of her old life remains and she does not know how things will ever be the same again. 
Lots of Love, 
Elouise 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment